Tuesday 2 June 2009

Regret

The blackness of night surrounds me
and once again I cannot sleep

I can’t stop thinking about what was and is and couldn’t be
regrets like brightly coloured ribbons slipping softly between my fingers

I close my eyes and images flash against the black outer space of my eyelids
they tease and taunt relentlessly begging to be remembered

I feel my anger in my tightly clenched jaw and the hardness of my teeth
trying to escape through a mouth that will not speak

I run my teeth along the inside of my mouth
it’s like a prisoner trying to escape the inevitableness of life

predictable, tried and true, scared to take chances on things that really matter
terrified of rejection and not being accepted
REGRET

I long for the fearlessness of my youth
when nothing seemed too big or insurmountable
everything was within grasp

A dream was just a thought away from reality…..

No comments:

Post a Comment